Saturday, May 30, 2020

Is it durable? Will it last?


I'm often confronted with the question on the durability of felted works and my first response is always, of course its durable! It was good enough for the nomads on the steppe to shelter in and so many other daily uses. Yet felt is truly an ancient material, and with the advent of modern materials and synthetic fibers, most of us don't come into contact with the raw materials anymore.

Most recently, the felted sign out front of the studio was removed for a more modern, 'permanent' sign. The felted one was holding its own quite well, through rain, wind, and snow, it did not lose any integrity. The notion of its permanence gave me pause. Do I mind if it withers and disintegrates over time? Not really. With care, many naturally made materials can last a lifetime. And further, should all materials stand the test of time? How is this helping humanity? Need I mention the oceans filled with plastics that will stand the test of time?

With my residency term half complete, I'm turning my attention to my show in June and how I will best communicate what this time has meant.  Capturing the raw beauty of a very free and ancient material and sharing this finding with the public excites me. I don't see an ecological platform arising in this moment. For now, I will focus creating haptic possibilites with wool fibers. There is beauty in embracing the impermanence


No comments:

Post a Comment

Craving Connection

Craving Connection With the residency now coming to a close, I prepare for a show at the gallery. I don't anticipate much of an aud...